Friday, April 20, 2007

Televised Baseball

I don't receive NESN, but I'm hoping the Red Sox get 3 or 4 more Japanese players to blanket Matsuzaka and to give the organization some more flavor. Ajinomoto flavor. I hope I'm anticipating the organization here. The boss could get some players who really want to play in the United States and get them some spots in Pawtucket if there's no room. There's probably not a lot of room. One-year contracts are simple, aren't they? Heck, who's the next Johjima? Could be playing at McCoy all summer. It seems easy to me, to deal with potential homesickness and all. I don't see the risk.

Strength of baseball character based on the desire to play in the US. Great. Have fun. Play ball. Ya gotta find the one who really wants it, this I know.

I had the chance to teach English in Tokyo and I took it. It turned out good for me. It's a two-way street, and a stint in NE might turn out to be just as important for some young Japanese player(s). 4 or 5 players in Boston and AAA - it's not distorting the demographics, not reading the ESPN Asia pages, not w/one year contracts. This thing is just going to get bigger, and a club needs all the practice it can get as early as they can get it, in knowing the management of it. Bill Gates' team in Seattle is really hitting the cut on this, and New York is so full of money, Mets and Yanks just attracts management talent.

Plus there is the small matter of $51 mm or $93 mm or whatever it is, seven years I think it is.

Let's bundle up! Local motion, you know.

...And maybe Toyota will build a factory in Lakeville or Freetown. That's what I really think. A nice low key Japanese resort place would be another place to start, nothing jarring, the culture in Nantucket is virtually the same as in Hawaii. The water in summer on the Cape and South Coast is warmer than the water in Southern California, in the summer. It's so convenient to 128/495, and to New York. Money money money, brah. Print those checks, Maui stylee.

Or maybe skiing; the Japanese Alps are very Burlington and Vail in their nature; perhaps "New Karuizawa" belongs in Vermont or New Hampshire or Maine.

Boston Beer might build in Freetown. Why can't Sapporo?

No comments: