Monday, July 2, 2007

More E-Commerce

Material purchased online and downloaded from eMusic in previous months includes:

- The 4 Skins History of the 4 Skins - Oi? Always surprised to find true value, again and again, this record is on Taang's 50 List, this is the other side of Naked Raygun, 4 Skins is kind of positive and encouraging like Raygun is kind of negative and liberating.
- J Church many records - Lance is in medical trouble, may need a kidney. Dana Carvey says "Kids today have it too good. When I was a kid we used to gnaw the bark off a tree, and we liked it!" Maybe the old guy could also try to get kids to go to some kind of church. J Church is a good substitute for church. Technically, it is a church - J Church.
- Hasil Adkins Out to Hunch, Peanut Butter Rock n Roll, Achy Breaky Ha Ha Ha - To me college consisted of hearing everything Hasil Adkins would have had to say about the U.N., the media, geopolitics and relationships, if the Haze had been some kind of would-be yuppie.
- V/A The Rough Guide to African Rap - I saw this at Newbury Comix and I picked it up. Good idea. Ty, Reggie Rockstone from Ghana, Prophets of da City, Positive Black Soul, Pee Froiss from Senegal. The Wikipedia has a lot of material on African (and Asian, Indian, South American et cetera) rap. The revolution (is right here in front of you) has something to do with De La Soul of New York.
- Fugazi The Argument - I have all of Fugazi's studio recordings, maybe, I have listened to In On over 50 times. The Argument is so good, something to start with if one is interested. Who is this guy "Fugazi" anyway? I won money at Keno, in Reno, I picked 20 numbers and not one of them came up. This was in the winter of 1993-1994. I went across to Japan for a few months, flying out of the San Francisco airport, the Bay is a short west coast bus ride from Reno. So I bought some music, including Fugazi, at Tower or HMV in San Francisco near Chinatown and I was walking around and I found the Fugazi building. I sat across from the Fugazi building on some steps for an hour. A couple of days later I was in Tokyo looking around for some books. So interesting.
Movies: Dazed and Confused and Bob Dylan's Don't Look Back - Sick of mockumentaries?
Wiley Treddin on Thin Ice and Dizzee Rascal The Boy in da Corner - Grime music is freely available at eMusic, with interesting helpful commentary included.

No comments: