Sunday, June 3, 2007

Bright Future


Dear fans of Law and Order, this is an NYPD Blue, and because it's a movie, there is more to it, the resolution of the event continues long after you've watched for an hour, looking, of course, at what it was that got some of the people involved in the case involved in the case to begin with; the case involves two young men. The story is at Bright Future's English Wikipedia article. It was made in 2003 and is available on Netflix' Watch Now and Queue.

It is very cool, in this movie, how an elder male borrows a metal cd from some young people and then socializes with them briefly - things do go wrong, but for different reasons, and it's quite sincere.

There is a cult or cults in Japan, similiar to the famous Aum Shinrikyo, that like to drive around with lots of white tape on their windshields, forming a big crosswork pattern. I used to get Asian channels when I had cable. It has something to do with Asian newspapers, I guess, the way words are typeset in a horizontal vertical grid pattern. I saw a lot of stone brick walls in northeast Asia which were bricklaid diagonally, as this wall seems to hold together better in an earthquake. I am not sure what these cults are trying to say, but at any rate, this movie features something that reminded me of the windshield tape, and it is kind of a puzzle, plus, it is very interesting to boot, it has to do with perception, I guess. Don't worry, this guy's not in a cult.

Asian Sausage
Didya ever wonder about how fries go so perfect with burgers at Burger King and McDonald's? And how Italian sausage goes perfect in lasanga and pasta sauce? And what's the deal with turkey and stuffing? Well, if one has ever shopped at the Asian supermarket and seen the sausage, it is positively uncanny - amazing - how much of that sausage one can eat with just plain boiled rice.

NYPD Crew
As far as tv and movies are concered, there is more one can do with a movie's timeframe, and in regard to episodes of a television show like Blue, which are produced every week. Pictures of houses and stuff in Tokyo, I worked there for a year, it looks like what I see; that's what I saw. It puts me in mind of cliche stuff I saw in New York when I worked in that city:

1 I went to a sandwich lunch place to get something, it wasn't a diner, a little more upscale, on Amsterdam behind Columbia, a few blocks down. Kind of an Italian place, it was really busy, lots of people, drinking coffee, picking up lunch, I just sat and waited for my order. The cashier said something to a customer, something like "57", I didn't notice, and a minute later, sure enough, a really complicated turkey club sandwich appeared on the to go counter, avocado and dressing and something on the side. The cashier had only been working there for a couple of weeks, and she asked the sandwich maker, which one is this, and he looked and then started the explanation, "You know you have to know what you're doing with this, we can't just make a lot of these, what are we going to do with it, et cetera.." So they just put the sandwich aside.

2 I am walking through the Times Square area at about 2 AM, just got off of a bus or a train, I am walking to the subway, it's a nice summer night. I am an Ironweed when it comes to walking around, I stay out of trouble; it's all I do; don't worry about me, exploration is my metier. But, it was some kind of movie cliche, a cop was walking with a tourist along 42nd Street, and all I heard was "So where are you from?" - "Ohio".

No comments: