Friday, June 15, 2007

My Music, Nowadays


As far as music is concerned, I spend time with a cassette made from Green Day's American Idiot and Talking Heads' Fear of Music. I have a cassette made from cd by Lure, which I have listened to up to 30 times in the past 7 years. That might not seem like a lot, but one should consider one's own listening habits; how often has one listened to one's favorite records? Jerry's Kids Kill Kill Kill is another favorite, more information on being pissed off and alleviated in re: evangelical power, it's serious Boston Hahd Coah, predating the Dropkick Murphys.

To be much nicer, Villiers Terrace.com has a lot of Echo and the Bunnymen material and Bloc Party's new record is pretty good, and as far as dub is concerned, King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, Prince Far-I, Mad Professor, Lee Scratch Perry and Horace Andy are records that are necessary to listening to any baseball game on the radio. I just won't listen to sports radio without dub. Dub is very soothing and I finally have an answer to "If you don't listen to The Dead, how do you relax?"

I guess I really do know punk rock; I have listened to Crying Nut's mostly Korean language cds Crying Nut 4 and OK Marching Church several times in the past two months, it sounds great.

Keeping it corporate, Public Enemy, The Jam and Bob Dylan are regular cds, sometimes the Wikipedia gets nutty and Blonde on Blonde gives one a positive, disinterested New York attitude. John Lydon's Sun is pretty good, Jean Grae is pretty good. I haven't listened to Bratmobile in a while.

As far as records that I don't see as much now as in the past, the list includes Guided by Voices' Vampire on Titus; Bad Religion, The Replacements and Butthole Surfers. All that reminds me of B-E-E-R, and I just don't have the time, man.

WGBH's Eric in the Evening is like living across the street from Miles Davis.

1 Return of the Super Ape by Lee Perry.



2 Lure - early punk rock from Beijing, I think, via Kuala Lumpur, maybe you will buy this: Wire is to the day as Lure is to the night. Here is a Japanese language link with English language information: Link



3 Jerry's Kids - The Catholic high school I went to for a year, in this city, was taught by men from Quebec; these guys look familiar. Superstar!

No comments: