Friday, June 1, 2007

World Cinema vs One Life To Live

This makes sense: The day an NBA player is drafted off of a high school intramural team is the day I will prop up my feet and start sorting through Hollywood movies. The Chinese word for "machine" is the same as the word for "airplane" - I guess airplanes are important, for world peace, and integration and all. And the word "money" is like slang for a computer, the internet is important too. The Blue and Gray Bowl? The Police Athletic League? Wasn't high school sports invented to deal with gang violence? It might be ok to think of our world as a big interscholastic league, maybe it's time to get on the bus and head on out, competition breeds excellence, or else what are you practicing for, something to do with world peace. It's a classic sports story, "Coach saw me playing intramural basketball and asked me to try out for the team." -- "Glad that you're here."

Not to be a bitchy man, recent North American movies I would put on my big list of movies that don't suck include:

Dodgeball
Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle
Blades of Glory - haven't seen it yet
Brain Candy
Afro Punk
Margaret Cho

And maybe you work with a bunch of dudes; it's just not much of a challenge to change the channel when you feel like it - 24, Simpsons, NYPD Blue...

No comments: